Swords have been around for about 5,000 years and are simple and easy to use. Well, not really. There is much more science and engineering to a sword than meets the eye, and skillfully using one takes considerable practice. In this class, students will make wooden model swords and learn about engineering related topics such as balance, angular inertia and momentum, and center of percussion. Then, after padding simple, pvc swords with foam and outfitting participants with proper safety gear, students learn basic sword handling and sparring techniques. The camp will end with a friendly, tournament-style competition of swordplay using their padded swords and shields. So, get ready to put on your suit of armor, learn some new skills and engage in some high-energy medieval fun in this creative class.
- All camps are only one-week long, Monday-Friday. Please see below for dates offered.
- Flexible drop-off and pickup times (8:30 am –5:30 pm) at no extra charge; earlier and later times by request for $5 per half hour per child per day.
- Most camps are half-day, but two half-day camps are often combined for a full-day camp. Lunchtime supervision provided; bring your own lunch.
- Half-day mornings: 9:00 am –12:30 pm • Half-day afternoons: 1:30–5:00 pm • Full-day camps: 9:00 am –5:00 pm
- If you find a class full, please register on the wait-list so that we can contact if you if space becomes available. We do our best to accommodate wait-listed students, who will be given priority if we are able to add another section of the class. We will then be in touch to confirm our ability to register your child.
- If any class has not met the minimum of three students required for the class to run by one week prior to the start date, we may cancel the class to free up the instructor and class space for other classes which may have waiting lists. Should this need to happen, we will inform affected families immediately.
- Use the grade your child will be entering next fall to determine age appropriate camps.
- There are no classes on Memorial Day or July 4th. The prices have been adjusted for the four-day camp week.
- Newton’s Attic supplies the computers for all computer based classes.
- Small class size and personalized instruction. Shop classes limited to 6 students per instructor. Most computer classes limited to 8 students per instructor.