Can you build something from scratch that goes over 100mph? 150mph? MORE? The fastest vehicles built by students in this class get near 200mph in under 3 seconds!
Rocket dragsters are built from foam, pvc and other materials. Think rocket powered pinewood derby cars racing on wires. They are designed to fly along a 200 foot long straight horizontal wire about 5 feet off the ground and are powered by student made rocket engines. Students start with pieces of foam from which they create their dragsters by first generating their own design, then they cut, shape, drill, sand, add wings or whatever they choose until they have their dragsters the way they want them. Following this, students learn how to pack their own rocket motors using potassium nitrate and sucrose. To test and race their dragsters, students can place them on the parallel wire tracks and race two at a time or against the speed camera. Testing and racing many times is par for the course as racers optimize their designs in hopes of getting the aerodynamic edge to beat their competitors.
- Boys & Girls • Grades 1-12 • Half- and Full-day camps • Weekly May 28th – August 16th
- All camps are only one-week long, Monday-Friday, but most are repeated multiple times throughout the summer.
- Drop-off and pickup between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm at no extra charge; earlier and later times by request for $5 per half hour per child per day
- Most camps are half-day, but two half-day camps are often combined for a full-day camp. Lunchtime supervision provided; bring your own lunch.
- Full-day camps: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm • Half-day mornings: 8:30 am –12:00 pm • Half-day afternoons: 1:00 – 4:30 pm
- Half-day camps range in price from $195 to $325 per week and full day camps from $390 to $695 per week.
- Small class size and personalized instruction.
- If you find a class full, please register on the wait-list so that we can contact if you if space becomes available. We do our best to accommodate wait-listed students, who will be given priority if we are able to add another section of the class. We will then be in touch to confirm our ability to register your child.
- If any class has not met the minimum of three students required for the class to run by one week prior to the start date, we may cancel the class to free up the instructor and class space for other classes which may have waiting lists. Should this need to happen, we will inform affected families immediately.
- Use the grade your child will be entering next fall to determine age appropriate camps.
- There are no classes on Memorial Day or July 4th-5th. The prices have been adjusted for the shorter camp weeks.
- Newton’s Attic supplies the computers for all computer based classes.