Parents, remember life before videogames when pinball machines ruled the arcade halls? This camp is a somewhat nostalgic return to those days as students design and build their own table top sized pinball machine complete with steel balls, flippers and flashing lights. Working in the shop with a variety of tools, young wizards design and fabricate various mechanical parts of their machine including things like bumpers, spinners, ramps and tunnels. They will also add wiring, lights and motors that are controlled by a microprocessor as they learn simple electronics and basic programming. This is a full day class that combines mechanical design, electrical circuitry and real world computer programming application to create a great take home project. So limber up your wrists and tell your disciples its time to head to the arcade!
*Please note that this class requires a longer attention span and more ability to focus than some other offerings in this age group since it is a single week-long project with many steps.
- Boys & Girls • Grades 1-12 • Half- and Full-day camps • Weekly May 28th – August 16th
- All camps are only one-week long, Monday-Friday, but most are repeated multiple times throughout the summer.
- Drop-off and pickup between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm at no extra charge; earlier and later times by request for $5 per half hour per child per day
- Most camps are half-day, but two half-day camps are often combined for a full-day camp. Lunchtime supervision provided; bring your own lunch.
- Full-day camps: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm • Half-day mornings: 8:30 am –12:00 pm • Half-day afternoons: 1:00 – 4:30 pm
- Half-day camps range in price from $195 to $325 per week and full day camps from $390 to $695 per week.
- Small class size and personalized instruction.
- If you find a class full, please register on the wait-list so that we can contact if you if space becomes available. We do our best to accommodate wait-listed students, who will be given priority if we are able to add another section of the class. We will then be in touch to confirm our ability to register your child.
- If any class has not met the minimum of three students required for the class to run by one week prior to the start date, we may cancel the class to free up the instructor and class space for other classes which may have waiting lists. Should this need to happen, we will inform affected families immediately.
- Use the grade your child will be entering next fall to determine age appropriate camps.
- There are no classes on Memorial Day or July 4th-5th. The prices have been adjusted for the shorter camp weeks.
- Newton’s Attic supplies the computers for all computer based classes.