This girls-only class incorporates GoldieBlox, an award winning book series and construction set starring Goldie the girl inventor, developed by Stanford-degreed Mechanical Engineer, Debbie Sterling. GoldieBlox taps into girls’ strong verbal skills and uses a story based construction set to explore concepts such as the wheel and axel, belt drive, the hinge and other engineering concepts all while building spacial skills and confidence in problem solving. True to Newton’s Attic, we will expand on the program by teaching basic tool use and further developing the engineering skills by having the girls build projects in the shop that reinforce the concepts in the construction sets. The girls may keep the projects they build in the Newton’s Attic shop.
For more information visit http://www.goldieblox.com
- All camps are only one-week long, Monday-Friday. Please see below for dates offered.
- Flexible drop-off and pickup times (8:30 am –5:30 pm) at no extra charge; earlier and later times by request for $5 per half hour per child per day.
- Most camps are half-day, but two half-day camps are often combined for a full-day camp. Lunchtime supervision provided; bring your own lunch.
- Half-day mornings: 9:00 am –12:30 pm • Half-day afternoons: 1:30–5:00 pm • Full-day camps: 9:00 am –5:00 pm
- If you find a class full, please register on the wait-list so that we can contact if you if space becomes available. We do our best to accommodate wait-listed students, who will be given priority if we are able to add another section of the class. We will then be in touch to confirm our ability to register your child.
- If any class has not met the minimum of three students required for the class to run by one week prior to the start date, we may cancel the class to free up the instructor and class space for other classes which may have waiting lists. Should this need to happen, we will inform affected families immediately.
- Use the grade your child will be entering next fall to determine age appropriate camps.
- There are no classes on Memorial Day or July 4th. The prices have been adjusted for the four-day camp week.
- Newton’s Attic supplies the computers for all computer based classes.
- Small class size and personalized instruction. Shop classes limited to 6 students per instructor. Most computer classes limited to 8 students per instructor.