After learning about aerodynamics, wing plan forms, airfoils, balance and flight controls, each student will construct a large custom glider using foam board, wood and glue. Several great flying designs are available. These creations will be launched using our high-tension accelerator to put some serious air under their wings. Students will use their crafts to engage in a series of challenges including flight distance, time of flight, payload capability and precision landing tasks with an award given for the best overall performance. the program developer, Keith Hollifield, has successfully built and flown hundreds of aircraft, and he stands ready to assist students who are ready to venture outside the box. This is precision work. Students should be prepared to use discipline, focus and patience to complete this course. Everyone keeps the aircrafts they create in this course, and some can later be adapted to radio control for use at home or elsewhere.
- All camps are only one-week long, Monday-Friday. Please see below for dates offered.
- Flexible drop-off and pickup times (8:30 am –5:30 pm) at no extra charge; earlier and later times by request for $5 per half hour per child per day.
- Most camps are half-day, but two half-day camps are often combined for a full-day camp. Lunchtime supervision provided; bring your own lunch.
- Half-day mornings: 9:00 am –12:30 pm • Half-day afternoons: 1:30–5:00 pm • Full-day camps: 9:00 am –5:00 pm
- If you find a class full, please register on the wait-list so that we can contact if you if space becomes available. We do our best to accommodate wait-listed students, who will be given priority if we are able to add another section of the class. We will then be in touch to confirm our ability to register your child.
- If any class has not met the minimum of three students required for the class to run by one week prior to the start date, we may cancel the class to free up the instructor and class space for other classes which may have waiting lists. Should this need to happen, we will inform affected families immediately.
- Use the grade your child will be entering next fall to determine age appropriate camps.
- There are no classes on Memorial Day or July 4th. The prices have been adjusted for the four-day camp week.
- Newton’s Attic supplies the computers for all computer based classes.
- Small class size and personalized instruction. Shop classes limited to 6 students per instructor. Most computer classes limited to 8 students per instructor.